Can French Bulldogs eat Grapes and Raisins?
Even though they are a popular and healthy snack for humans, grapes, raisins, and currants can make French Bulldogs develop kidney failure. Contrary to grapes and currants, raisins are frequently consumed in conjunction with other foods, which may raise the risk of exposure. The worry about toxicity is constant.

Can French Bulldogs eat Grapes?

Grapes and raisins are poisonous to French Bulldogs. Ingestion of commercially available or homegrown grapes, red or green grapes/raisins, organic or non-organic, and grape pressings from wineries have all resulted in poisoning in Frenchies. Foods like raisin bran cereal, trail mix, granola mix, and baked goods that contain grapes, raisins, and currants all have the potential to be poisonous. Wine, grape juice, and grape jellies don’t seem to pose a toxicity risk.

What dosage is toxic?
Unfortunately, there is no known toxic dose for any of these fruits, but there are two guidelines to follow: 1) Frenchies are more likely to become poisoned if they consume large amounts of fruit; and 2) there seems to be ‘individual’ sensitivity in dogs. Some French Bulldogs seem to be able to consume small amounts of the fruit without experiencing any negative effects, but other Frenchies may become ill after consuming just a few grapes or raisins. Which dogs may be more sensitive cannot be predicted at this time.

Why are raisins, grapes, and currants poisonous?
Why these fruits are poisonous is currently a mystery. There has been debate over the years regarding whether the toxicity may be caused by a mycotoxin (a poisonous substance produced by a fungus or mold) or a salicylate (drug similar to aspirin) that may be naturally present in the grape, decreasing blood flow to the kidneys. Tartaric acid has been speculated as a potential culprit more recently. But no particular toxic substance has been distinctly identified as of yet. Any exposure should raise potential concerns because it is currently unknown what makes these fruits toxic.

What should I do if my French bulldog consumes raisins or grapes?
Contact your veterinarian, the Pet Poison Helpline, or an animal poison control service as soon as you suspect that your pet has consumed any of these fruits. It is better to avoid any risks when it comes to the health of your dog because there are still a lot of unanswered questions about this poisoning. As with any toxin, the quicker the poisoning is identified and treated, the less risk it poses to your pet and the less expensive the treatment will be for you.

What are the signs of toxicity from raisins or grapes?
Vomiting is the most typical initial sign of toxicity from grape or raisin products. which typically manifests 24 hours after ingestion. In the ensuing 12 to 24 hours, you might also experience a lack of appetite, lethargy, and possibly diarrhea. More severe symptoms don’t appear for 24 to 48 hours after ingesting the substance, frequently after acute kidney damage has already started. Acute kidney failure symptoms include nausea, anorexia, vomiting, uremic breath (which smells like ammonia), diarrhea, abdominal pain, excessive thirst, and frequent urination. The kidneys will eventually stop working as the poisoning worsens, which may prevent the dog from producing urine. The French Bulldog’s blood pressure frequently rises sharply after that. A buildup of substances that the kidneys typically remove from the body through urine could cause the dog to fall into a coma. The prognosis is poor once the kidneys have shut down and the urine output has decreased.

How is grape/raisin poisoning identified?
Unfortunately, grape or raisin poisoning doesn’t always have clear-cut symptoms, and the early warning signs can resemble anything, even simple dietary misbehavior (eating things you shouldn’t). More severe symptoms are comparable to kidney failure from other causes. The presence of grape or raisin pieces in the Frenchie’s vomit or a history of eating grapes, raisins, or currants will help your veterinarian determine whether this poisoning is the cause.

A complete blood count (CBC), serum biochemistry profile, and urinalysis are a few additional diagnostic tests that your veterinarian might advise to determine the extent of kidney damage. The outcomes of the test will be used to estimate the dog’s chance of recovery.
How is this poisoning handled?

Blocking toxin absorption and avoiding or minimizing kidney damage are the two main objectives of treatment. The best course of action is to administer activated charcoal and induce vomiting in order to decontaminate the dog as soon as possible. This aids in preventing the toxin’s absorption from the stomach or intestines. Vomiting should always be induced, even up to four to six hours after eating grapes or raisins because of how long they remain in the stomach. After decontamination, additional care, possibly including aggressive intravenous fluids to support and protect the kidneys in an effort to limit kidney damage, may be required. Additionally, medications for blood pressure control, maintaining blood flow to the kidneys, and controlling nausea or vomiting may be given.
“The purpose of treatment is to prevent or minimize kidney damage by blocking the absorption of toxins.” Don Chino, the best French bulldog breeder, said this.

French Bulldogs should ideally be kept in the hospital on intravenous fluids for 48 hours after ingesting. Animals that are affected might need to stay in the hospital for a few days. Your dog’s kidney function will be checked by your veterinarian every day while it is receiving treatment in order to gauge how well it is working and decide whether to step up the dosage. Additionally, 1-2 days after returning home, blood tests might need to be repeated. This is to ensure that kidney function levels have not risen.

What are the chances of recovery from grape or raisin poisoning?
The severity of the ingestion, the speed with which the patient was decontaminated, whether or not the patient had already experienced kidney failure, the timing of the start of the treatment, and whether or not the clinical signs and kidney function levels have improved since the start of the treatment all affect the prognosis. The prognosis is excellent for Frenchies who only consumed a few grapes or raisins and sought immediate medical attention. The prognosis is poor and death is likely if the kidneys are damaged and there is no urine produced. The kidneys’ capacity for self-regeneration or repair is extremely limited. They will no longer perform as well as they did prior to the episode once they have been damaged. When in doubt, get help right away by calling your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline for guidance. Based on the symptoms, the particular case, and the response to treatment, your veterinarian will make an educated guess about your dog’s prognosis.

How do I stop this issue from happening?
Ensure that your pets cannot access any grapes, raisins, currants, or foods containing these fruits. Don’t give your French Bulldog any food that might contain raisins or grapes, and don’t give your dog grapes as treats. Even though most Frenchies won’t get sick from one grape, it is best to avoid this habit and potential food poisoning.

What other popular foods should you avoid giving French Bulldogs?
Foods that are fattening or contain the sugar alcohol sweetener xylitol, as well as foods containing onions, garlic, alcohol, chocolate, cocoa, and macadamia nuts, can all be deadly.

A risk exists for other animals?
Only French Bulldogs and other breeds are known to be susceptible to grape and raisin poisoning. Avoid feeding any grapes and raisins to your Frenchie or other pet because there are still a lot of unanswered questions regarding this poisoning.